Since CostaRicaAhorro.com is about finding bargains and saving money in Costa Rica, I thought I would share these great ideas on recycling common household items and turning them into practical useful things that you can use.
The ideas are ideal for not only saving money but are also good for the environment and are great projects to do if you happen to have kids in your house.
So keep reading if you want to see more...
Make a Candle with an Orange
Never have a candle when you need one? Then this idea may be for you if you happen to have an orange laying around.
- 1. Cut the top of an orange
- 2. Add a little bit of olive oil
- 3. Light the stem and you have an instant candle!
- 4. Eat the Orange
Try it with a lime and turn it into a mosquito repeller!
This idea is ideal for making fun decorations for a party or even in case of emergencies.
Transforming a Take-Out food container into a reusable microwave popcorn Maker
A pack of microwave popcorn costs from 350 colones to 500 colones while a bag of popcorn kernel costs around 500 colones and makes about 6 bags of microwave popcorn. Thus, it is cheaper to buy the bag of popcorn kernel and now just as easy to make in the microwave. That’s about a 2,500 colones saving!
- Take the lid of the plastic container and make a few holes in it
- Place a little oil at the bottom
- Put popcorn kernel in the container, just enough so that you cant see the bottom of the container.
- Place lid on top
- Place in microwave for 2-3 minutes.(time will vary based on the size of the container)
Turn a gallon plastic milk jug into a garden spade for your plants or a cool looking container.
A picture is worth a thousand words...